Monday, July 28, 2014

Cooking and Homestead - Homemade Yogurt

In jar is Greek Yogurt, little container regular yogurt, big container whey
Yesterday, I decided to try to make my and homemade yogurt. With the new THM diet I've been following, I have been eating a lot of Greek yogurt. So I was wondering if it was cheaper to make it on my own or to keep buying it from the store. I followed money-saving mom's recipe to make my yogurt.

My milk in the crockpot
The recipe was so easy to follow! I put the milk in the crockpot and I cooked it, that let it sit for a little bit. After that I added already made yogurt to the crockpot. Then I covered it with a towel and left it sit overnight. 

I wasn't impressed with the yogurt. I used a gallon of milk, and 1 cup of Greek yogurt and I got about 2 cups of Greek yogurt out of it. I will try it again though and fix thinks I think I might have mess up



The bowl I mix the other yogurt in and my crockpot in a towel. 
Things I love about making my own yogurt
  • It tasted so much better! It was sweeter than store bought. I don't think you need to add anything. I could have eating it all by myself in one sitting (I didn't)
  • Honestly easy to make- it was so easy to make just took a long time but the stuff I had to do only took 10 mins at the most. Until I drained it that took 1/2 but if I had 2 cheese cloths and use the bigger strainer it would have been 1/2 the time! 
  • Whey- I really want the whey to try these mash potatoes. (Ugh I can't find the recipe) but it will help me use what in the garden with THM approve. 
  • I did get some yogurt for My little one's smoothies. (I will use the extra whey for that too she been really into them and that whey she getting the extra stuff her body needs) it was the extra dripping out of the great yogurt. 

Something's I will change and try again. 
  • I double the recipe but didn't change my cooking time - that might have been why I didn't get a lot. It might not have gotten warm enough. I'm going to try again with the about of the recipe and see if I make more if it does then it will change my mind by a lot. 
  • I don't know how active the yogurt was. - I'm wondering if fresh yogurt will be more active and make more 

*** If I can get 3- 3.5 cup of Greek yogurt out of a gallon. Then yes it will be the only yogurt we eat!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment