Saturday, July 26, 2014

Saving Seeds- Start Saving Cucumber Seeds - Part one

My cucumbers are being ready to harvest. This means I can also start to save my seeds, for next year. I ordered this cucumbers are from Self Survival Essentials, and are organic heirloom seeds.

July 24, 2014

Some people people leave the cucumber on the vine until it is huge and yellow. I personal don't do that. Or at least not on purpose. I just use the cucumber seeds that come out when I cut my cucumbers.

My cucumber seeds

If you ever look at a cucumber seed that comes out of a cucumber, it has a mucus cover the seeds. The mucus comes off by fermenting it. I start to fermenting process today. 

The seeds in the jar 

The start of this process is two put the seeds in water. You will see some seeds sink and some float. I just leave them there for now. I will leave the jar uncover and on the counter for 4-5 days
on the counter for the 4-5 days. 

Come back in a week and seed how I get the bad seeds seprated from the good seeds and dry them. 

Are you saving your seeds this year? 



No comments:

Post a Comment