Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Gardening ~ Getting Garden Box Ready for Planting

This weekend I started to get my gardening box ready for planting.

Cass helping weeding the box

Cass helped me with the first part of getting the garden box ready. Weeding! Together it took about half hour to get the whole box weeded.

Top soil and compost in the garden and ready to use

The second thing I do is get what I need for the garden ready. I bought organic compost and topsoil at Walmart. Together they cost about four dollars not a bad investment when it's going to feed my crops for the rest of the season.

Garden Box 2 covered with compost

After I bring everything in the gardening area, I start to add my compost. I spread around 40 pounds of compost around the garden.

Garden Box 2 covered with chicken bedding

The four thing, I do is add old chicken bedding. Chicken poop is the only poop that doesn't have to sit when adding it to the garden. I also add the wood chips too. The chicken poop and wood chips balance each other, therefore you have perfect compost! I spread it all over the garden bed.


Tilling the box
The fifth step is the hardest. I till the soil. I use a hand till, that why it so hard. This helps get the compost mixed in the soil. I have read many place fresh compost and burn the plant. Also by tilling, I loosing up the soil for the roots to grow.

Gardening Bed 2 is ready to plant in

The last step after tilling is adding a new layer of compost to my garden bed. This helps cover up the compost and help add soil to the bed because of erosion. I always seem to losses a little soil.

I do this in all my garden beds! Then I know bed is ready to feed my plants all year long. How do you get your garden beds ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment