Monday, April 29, 2013

Gardening~ 2 Weeks After Average Frost - Weekly Goals

According to my book Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook, even though we are 2 weeks before last frost. I did get frost, last week. I would rather wait to put out any of my melons, peppers, and tomatoes, until we have a week of full 50* weather. Therefore when the book says to put it out you will see a side not that I'm not. If you have had temperature 50* or plus for a week straight, I think you should be fine.

Weekly Garden Goals
1. Pepper, tomato and eggplant start plants- set out to harden off, you do this a little at a time over a week. Mulch around the plant after you plant them in the ground. (I'm going to push this back, some of my started seed haven't even come up. I think it is to cold outside to plant them)
2. Cucumber, squash, and melons - tart plants- set out to harden off, you do this a little at a time over a week. Mulch around the plant after you plant them in the ground. (I'm going to push this back)
3. Strawberry- mulch around strawberry plant so that the fruit stays off the ground. I was excited this week to see my strawberries have started to bloom.
4. All crops- keep an eye out for slugs. Yuck I found one trying to eat my potato plants. I feed him to my chicks. They were so happy.
5. Potato- when the plant start to show though the garden you want to cover them back up little a hill
6. Leaf lettuce,carrots, beets, sweet corn and radish- I be honest I am behind all the planting, I still don't have my corn and carrots planted. I can't even find my carrot seed. :( I will have to pick up more at the store. I hoping to get caught up this week.
7. Bush- type summer squash - seed for container planting (I think they are talking zucchini and yellow squash). This is a great idea to do if I get extra start plants, I was wondering what I was going to do with them.
8. New Zealand Spinach- directly sow into garden bed. I'm behind on this too. :( I am hoping to get it done this week.
9. Rhubarb- keep harvesting ( I have to get mine planted for next year, I'm thinking 2 bushes.
10. Mustard green- harvest leaves
11. Garlic- cut scraps and use to cook with. I never thought of cooking with the greens of garlic. It makes so much sense. I am going to cut half and leave the other half to make bulbs to plant in the fall. (Woohoo free seeds!)

What are you planting this week? Are you worried about surprise frost?


Follow the other Weeks Before Last Frost Weekly goals with the links below.
Gardening 20 Weeks Before My Last Frost- Weekly Goals
Gardening 19 Weeks Before My Last Frost- Weekly Goals
Gardening 18 Weeks Before my Last Frost
Gardening 17 Weeks Before My Last Frost Weekly Goals 
Gardening~ Weeks 16 and Weeks 15 before My Last Frost - Weekly Goals 
Gardening~ 14 Weeks before Average Date of Last Frost
Gardening~ 13 & 12 Weeks before Average Date of Last Frost
Gardening~ 11 Weeks before Average Date of Last Frost 
 Gardening ~ 10 weeks until my last frost - Weekly Goals
Gardening ~ 9 weeks until my last frost ~ Weekly Goals

Gardening~ 8 weeks before my last frost - Weekly Goals
Gardening- 7 weeks before my last frost~ weekly goals
Gardening ~ 6 and 5 Weeks Before My Last Frost- Weekly Goal
Gardening ~ 4 Gardening 4 Weeks Before My Last Frost - Weekly Goals

Gardening~ 3 Weeks Before My Last Frost - Weekly Goals
Gardening- Week of last frost- garden goals
Gardening- 1 Week After My Last Frost- Weekly Goals

No comments:

Post a Comment