Thursday, November 12, 2020

Kids Kroner - Egg Experiment






The Rubber Egg Experiment is such a cool experiment to do with children. We had so much fun with it. It is super mess though. That’s okay we are kids and we are meant to be dirty. Nothing a change of clothes and washing our hands can’t fix.

What you need

1.       Vinegar

2.       Egg

How to do it

1.       Put a little vinegar in clear cups

2.       Add the egg

3.        Fill the cup up until about ½ in above the egg.

Why does it work

1.       Vinegar is an acid. The acid dissolves the calcium carbonate (which is what makes up the egg shell). You are left with egg membrane, which is rubbery

2.       It gets bigger because the egg membrane absorbs some of the vinegar.

Our Eggs on Day 1


How we conducted the experiment

·         Day 1, I pulled out and egg and vinegar. I asked the kids if they believed my Hypotonus was right that if I put the egg in Vinegar for 3 days could we bounce it like a ball. My School age look me like I was crazy. My preschools followed his lead all but one. Saying it wouldn’t happen. I put a little vinegar in and the egg. (I did this so; I wouldn’t break the egg when we put it cup.) Then we topped it with vinegar. We set it one the table.

·         Day 2 we looked at the eggs we saw the bubbles around the egg. We talked about it being a reaction to the vinegar eating the calcium or the egg shell. I pulled out an egg. We explored it.  It was slimy and a little see though the brown was coming off.

Comparing the eggs

·         Day 3, we talked about the eggs. We compared the egg in the experiment to a regular egg. I ask the kids questions; What is an egg? What happens if the egg is fertile? The we talked about the eggs membrane and how that keeps the baby chick safe. Then we pulled out the egg. (we make 5 of them so each kid could try it) I bounced mine 1st. I said let’s see how high I could go before the egg broke. We talked about how hard it had to be for a baby chick to get out of. Then my egg popped. I laughed and cleaned it up. (I want my egg to break because I want the to see it was okay if it broke, and wasn’t a big deal.) They got to play with their eggs. 2 didn’t want it and 2 had a blast.

Exploring the eggs

Have you tried this experiment? We love it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment