Monday, November 9, 2020

Garden Time - Chicken Fodder

 

💖We love our chickens💖

I am putting this in my gardening time information. I decided this because it is growing seeds. The idea of Fodder is to sprout seed for your animals, so they have greens to eat all year around. People seem to love the idea of fresh greens for they lovable chicken. I also really like the idea, because it will let my littles watch the growth of seeds, and be able to compare it. That learning experience is fantastic for them.

I have heard about Fodder before in through Survival HT, over a year ago. It was one thing I was like this is a good idea 1 cup of seed can turn 2-3lbs of green food for my chicks. I will have to try that one day.

Our set up for now, we have different shelving coming.

Well after Covid-19 a lot of my planning is how to have healthy happy animal that will produce amazing food for me. How to do it without breaking the bank. I can go through 3-15 eggs day depending who is here and what we are eating. We feed them their food, scratch, scrapes and now fodder. Food is about $30 a month which isn’t bad about $2.50 a dozen for eggs. (not counting hay and bedding for them) With this it should bring it down a little. I don’t want them every to be hungry. Having fresh green will also help keep them healthy.

The system, I bought wasn’t as easy as Survival HT. Because I want the kids to be able to see it and compare it. Learning about seed growth and how it grows. The system I’m using is a 6-day system. Today we soak the seeds for 24 hours. (we started this in our LocknLock containers) Day two you are supposed to rinse, turn, and they are supposed start to sprout. Most things I looked up says you should rinse 2x a day, to keep them moisten. I am going to try rinsing once a day, and then letting the kids spray the seeds 2x a day. Before breakfast and before lunch. I want them involved with the growing so I have to let them do something and carrying trays of seeds, sounds like a horrible idea. If issues come up, we will adjust accordingly. They say from day 2 to day 6 all you do is rinse. I will update you if that is true.

Day 1 soaking seeds

This is what we are trying. I will take photos and update you next week on how this makes out. We should be feeding our chickens this next week. Have you every grown Chicken Fodder? Do you have any tips for me?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment