Friday, December 7, 2012

Garden~ 20 Weeks before Frost goals - Remove Spoiled seeds

Remove Spoiled seeds

Unfortunately, sometimes seeds go bad. There are many reasons way the bad because of mold, bugs or rodents. There are many ways to help stop this. 

My seeds for spring of 2013
I save most of my seeds the old way. I have seed two containers, one for veggies, and one for flower and herbs. Then use paper clips to close the seeds bags. (I used to tape, but I ripped a lot of the information off the packages, then I lost information!) Then I take the seeds and bag them up with seeds like them, all sunflower seed together and then all zinnia seeds in different bags. After that they go in my plastic containers. I have rice packets in there so moister doesn't get into the seeds. After that I put them in a cool, dry, dark spot. (Under the office bed) 
There are times when something happens, and the seeds spoil. Today in the one packet I found little bugs, because they were bagged up I got to just though them out. The bugs couldn't get to any of the other seeds so the rest were still good!
Another way is to freeze you send. Now I have just tried this way with the seeds we got over the summer. Hubby found amazing deal on ebay $25 for 5,000 seeds. I ended up spiting it with a girlfriend, so I got 2,500 seeds for 12.50!!! I was so excited. I decided to follow their introducing. I was worried about freezing it, and to be honest I can't wait to see how it works out.
The last way I have read some about is put it in your refrigerator. I have never tried this way so I can't tell you how to do it or how it works. But I did want to tell you about it.
How do you save your seeds?  


No comments:

Post a Comment