Friday, December 21, 2012

Gardening~ 18 Weeks Before My Last Frost - Plant - Leek and sweet Spanish onion seeds

This week we get to start to planting. My last post I talked about planting herbs. This post I'm going to focuses on planting my onions and leeks. I love onions in everything. Leeks taste like onions but not as strong. I grow them mainly because I love Cream BLT Pasta. Leeks are to much money in the stores.


Get your stuff together
Step 1- Get organized. To be organized to me means, having everything in need downstairs with me. I gather my notebook, my pad of line paper, my seeds, my mini green house, my water, a pen, and tape.(I planted both my onions and herbs at the same time.)


Pellets with water
 Step 2 - put water in with the pellets so that they will expand.
               
labels
label the tray
 Step 3 - write the name on the orange paper and cut them out. Then you tape them on the tray. The reason I use the tape is that it seals the label, if it get wet then I still can see what is in it.
Write information down
Step 4 - Write down the information. I write down the date, week, type of plant, where the seed came from, how many seeds in the pellet, how many pellets I planted. I also take a picture of the seed packet to know what I'm looking for when it grows in the garden.

Onion seeds
Step 5 - Check the seeds. I always look over the seeds to make sure they good. 
Planting Leek seeds

Step 6 - Plant seed. I read somewhere, not hundred percent on where I read so many gardening books. But to only pant the seed 2x as deep as big as the seeds are. This has helped me last year grow more plants from seeds. I over plant them the years before.
Covered and put in light

Step 7 - Cover the green house for my plants. Put under light, now I use grow bulbs in my basement. I don't have a lot of natural sun coming into my house. 
My Computer Journal (I haven't had time to add the onions and leeks yet)

Step 8 - Add to the computer. Now I know I don't get the information in the computer for a few days, that why I write it down over and over again. That way I don't lose the information.

Follow my garden adventurers on Facebook PA Gardeners
Follow the 18 Weeks Before Last Frost Weekly goals with the links below.
Gardening ~ 18 Weeks Before My Last Frost - Weekly Goals
  

No comments:

Post a Comment