Sunday, January 20, 2013

Spinach & Ricotta Cheese 25 minute dinner ~ Recipe



This recipe is a keeper! I found it in Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food Bill on pg169. I did change the recipe a little to work for my family. I also made this two different ways, one for my family and one for my boss's family. They wanted sausage add to the recipe.

Ingredient 
1 lb of bow-tie pasta
2 tbsp and 1/2 tsp of olive oil
4-6 green onions
10 oz of frozen spinach
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of black pepper
1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups of  ricotta cheese


Step 1 - Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to a deep skillet, heat over med heat, and I add my chopped green onions right away. (These were grown from scraps in my window sill.) Meanwhile put water on for pasta.
 Step 2 - If you are adding the sausage, is to cut them out of the casing and into little meat balls. (We add 2lbs of meat)
Step 3 - Add the sausage to the pan, and brown it. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to the pan too.
Step 4 - Add the pasta to the boiling water. I don't add salt, to my meal. My boss does like it so this is when I add the salt to her pot. I also add a 1/2 tsp olive oil to the pot. (this helps the noodles not stick together)
Step 5 - Add the spinach. (the book says to squeeze the spinach dry) I did not do this, because I want the spinach juice to be more of a sauce.
Step 6 - Add the ricotta cheese, cook it until warm.
Step 7 -  Add the cooked pasta to the spinach mixture.
Step 8- Serve!

This recipe is great! It was easy and fast and tasted great!




No comments:

Post a Comment