Thursday, July 11, 2013

Gardening and Cooking- How to Save and Store Peas

Fresh picked peas
I have been harvesting peas throughout the spring and early summer. I hope to have a hole garden box of peas this fall. So I started to think, how can I save the peas for dinner during the winter.
Thank you pickyourown.org for the picture
First thing I though of was canning. I don't know much about canning peas or anything that has to be presser cooked canning. That scares me a little... Here is an awesome site that has information on canning peas Pick Your Own.

Thank you for the picture
Then I thought about freezing them! I love peas, and freeze them can't be that hard. According to Leda Meredith at About.com the best away to store them is to blanch them quickly and freeze them. I might do this way seems safer and easier.

Thank you Good House Keeping for the picture
Then started to thing about the soups in mason jars. Started to think, how easy is it to dry peas. Jenny Harrington from ehow home article "How To Make Dried Peas" says it is so easy. I think I this would be awesome, because I can us the bad canning jar and old lids to store them.

Thank you eHow Home for the picture
I'm not sure how I'm going to store them, I'm going to have to talk to Hubby and see what he thinks. Plus My Little One would have to stop eating them all. How are you saving you pea?

No comments:

Post a Comment