Sunday, July 21, 2013

Gardening ~ Harvesting Garlic

Garlic pulled out of the ground
Yesterday was the 1st time, I harvest garlic! I was so excited. One more thing, I’m adding to my house for my family to eat organically and natural, which is my goal for my garden. I spend time researching how to harvest and store garlic (you can read it at Gardening- Helpful Video on Garlic  ), so I was ready to harvest  it.
it is bent over
I planted the soft neck garlic on April 15th, 2013. You can read about it at Gardening ~ Planting Garlic and there is helpful video and information about garlic there too. Throughout my research, I read that you can harvest the soft neck garlic when it bends over. I got to work.
Pulled up little bulb
I took a shovel and dug around the garlic area. I was very careful with the first two. Once I got a hang of it though, I was moving along. My garlic bulbs were little. I’m not sure if it was because I harvest early or that I planted in the spring. It normal gets planted in the fall. I did leave half in the ground and will try again in two weeks. I’m also hoping to be able to try to plant in the fall and see the difference.

Drying out
After harvesting I put them outside to start to dry out. Today, I have to bring them in and leave them on the counter, because rain is in the forecast until Thursday. I don’t want them to get wet. Have you planted garlic? If so did you plat in fall or spring? If you planted in spring did you see a difference in size?
Other post that could help you with your garlic
Gardening - Planting Eggplant ~ Companion plant to garlic
Garlic bulbs Update ~ Information on how the garlic grows


No comments:

Post a Comment